Keswick Island has a regular barge service that runs from Mackay.
Given that barging can sometimes require significant logistics, the information below may assist you plan and arrange barge services to suit your needs. Details of the barge are provided, as well as an easy step-by-step guide as to how freight can be barged.
The MV Gulfstream barge services Keswick Island, as has done since March 2012. MV Gulfstream, berthed in the Mackay Marina, was purchased specifically to provide a reliable service to Keswick Island. The barge, which had a major refit in 2010, was once called Stampede, and serviced Keswick and Brampton Islands in the late 90’s through until 2005. As such, it is ideally suited to servicing islands. The barge service is owned and operated by Speyside Investments Pty Ltd.
Your step-by-step guide on getting freight to/from Keswick Island
How to get your freight TO Keswick Island from Mackay
1. Contact Brett Curd to arrange delivery of freight to barge storage yard at Mackay Port and book space on barge run
2. On morning of barge run, freight will be moved from storage yard to barge ramp, to be securely loaded onto the barge
3. The barge will depart Mackay Port for Keswick Island, approx. run is 2.5 hours
4. The barge will be unloaded at the barge ramp at Keswick Island
5. Arrangements will need to be made with Brett to move items from the barge ramp to your lot
How to get your freight FROM Keswick Island to Mackay
1. Contact Brett Curd to book space on outward barge, providing approx dimensions, weight and description of goods
2. Once the barge from Mackay has been unloaded, outgoing freight will then be securely loaded onto the barge
3. The barge will depart Keswick Island for Mackay Port, approx. run 2.5 hours
4. On arrival in Mackay Port, freight will be moved from the barge ramp to the barge storage yard
5. Arrangements will need to be made with Brett regarding collection and/or storage of freight
The barge ramp at Keswick Island
The barge ramp at Keswick Island is tidal, with access to the ramp up to 2 hours on either side of the high tide. It is accessible outside these hours with the loading/unloading of deck loaded freight via use of an All Terrain Forklift.
Barge storage yard at Mackay Port
Keswick Developments has leased a 1,600sqm secure storage yard at Edmund Casey Avenue, Mackay Port. The storage yard is managed by Brett Curd, and drivers of deliveries must contact Brett in order to access the yard. The rates for the storage yard are:
- Outside open storage – $5 per 10m2 per day
- Inside (container) – $5 per m2 pallet per day
A Forklift and tray-back truck are based at the storage yard, and are available for hire to assist with your logistic needs.
Further information and rates
Please see Barging Information & Rates (Aug17) for detailed information on the barge service, including:
- privately-chartered barge runs
- loading/unloading and transportation of goods
- large freight items requiring roll on/roll off vehicles
- barge schedule
- barge specifications, licences and permits
- barging rates
Refer here for information regarding transport of small freight items.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Brett Curd, Operations Officer (Greaton Keswick) 07 4965 8043 or 0457 520 524